“Mindfulness meditation doesn’t change life. Life remains as fragile and unpredictable as ever. Meditation changes the heart’s capacity to accept life as it is.” – Sylvia Boorstein.
It’s true folks, mindfulness can do wonders. Whether you’re happy, stressed or distracted, practicing mindfulness makes you more present, regulates your stress levels and boosts your overall well-being. How irresistible does that sound?
As mindfulness enthusiasts with a penchant for exploring different ways to practice being mindful, we’ve come to learn that such practice may not only transform your day, but also your life. In this article we will provide you with the necessary tools to start giving mindful living a try. We’ll share with you 6 great sources of mindfulness practices to add to your daily routine.
6 Practices to effective mindfulness:
To make it easily accessible to you, we’ve rounded up 6 different approaches to being mindful, for you to pick whichever fits in your daily routine;
1. The 5-4-3-2-1 counts:
This exercise allows you to return to the present moment using your senses:
● See: Spot five things around you.
● Touch: Notice four things you can feel.
● Hear: Listen for three sounds.
● Smell: Detect two scents.
● Taste: Identify one taste.
2. Mindful eating:
● Rather than eating without pausing, you should take the time to appreciate the form, aroma, texture, and flavor of what you’re eating.
● Make at least one meal a day a mindful eating exercise.
● Turn off all distractions, place your fork down between bites, and truly enjoy every bite.
3. Mindful movement:
● Whether it’s yoga, stretching, walking or any other form of exercise that you are used to do, we recommend practicing mindfulness during your workout.
● Feel your muscles movement, your feet’s sensation on the ground or mat, and notice how the blood circulates to your head.
4. Body scan:
● A body scan is a mindfulness activity in which you visually scan your entire body from head to toe.
● Notice any sensations of tightness or discomfort as you move your focus around your body.
● Soften and relax those areas consciously for maximum relaxation.
5. Breath mindfully:
● The Mindful breathing exercise draws your attention to its natural breathing rhythm, boosting relaxation and mental clarity.
● Set out a few minutes each day to sit quietly and focus on your breathing. Take note of each breath you take in and out.
● Whenever your mind starts to wander, gently bring it back to your breath.
6. Drive mindfully:
● Even routine activities, such as driving, can be transformed into mindful actions.
● Rather than allowing your thoughts to wander during the ride, try to stay present.
● Take note of how the steering wheel feels in your hands, the sound of the engine, and the view through the windshield.
● Without making judgments, take note of any thoughts or feelings that appear.
● Listening to music while driving can also promote being fully present.
Finally, folks after taking you on a quick journey through some of the easiest mindfulness practices, we advise you to take a minute and think of how you’ll include such techniques in your day. Based on research and science, we guarantee that being mindful will greatly add to your life. Let’s stay present!